Kit: Italeri #027
|Review: 2 sprue
trees contain 47 parts molded in dark green, 1 tree contains 6 transparent
parts. All parts are free of flash and crisply formed with fine raised
rivets. Construction is simple and straightforward. Fit is generally good
with the exception of the windscreen which required sanding, shaping and
filler to blend into the fuselage. The kit includes weapon options of
Hellfire, Stinger, and 70mm rockets. The detail was soft on the Hellfire
so I borrowed from an Italeri Apache kit.
Optional markings provided for 1/277th AVN. US Army, Fort Rucker,
Model Master Enamel "US ARMY HELO DRAB" was used overall. The
base color was then lightened with Testors #1168 "White" and
used to simulate faded paint and weathing. Testors #1530 "Jade Green"
was used for the "greenhouse" windows. Testors Dullcoat Lacquer
was applied overall.
Market Parts: None.
|Customizing: On the inside I added seat harnesses made of masking tape. I used green
metallic sequins for the MFDs. No collectives were provided in the kit
(why is this standard practice for 72nd scale kits?) so I fabricated my
own. The pilot's armor plating was too thick so I trimmed it away and
made my own.
On the outside I added supports for the cable cutters, bulges to
the rear door, and searchlight. I replaced the main rotor pitch control
rods with stretched sprue and used the same to create the missing tail
rotor control rods.
This particular release from Italeri (#637) did not include the
IR jammer installation, so I created my own. The IR reflector was made
from a gold sequin, scored in a grid pattern and rolled into a cylinder.
All lights were created with bits of colored sequins coated with 3-minute
epoxy. Black sequins were used for the optics of the MMS. The Hellfire
seeker heads were made by drilling out the front of each missile and inserting
a piece of gold sequin then filled in with 3-minute epoxy.
|Cost: Purchased from MJDesings for $8.00(US), a very good value for the price.